Monday, August 1, 2011

New York Cheesecake with Blueberry Topping


My step cousin's family has been here for the past few days, and they always see my baking on Facebook. Because they comment the most; of course I'm going to make them something. Their favorite, cheesecake. It was a tough choice of which one to make, but because it's summer I wanted to use something from my garden. What has just grown? BLUEBERRIES! They are big, plump and sweet. Perfect for a warm blueberry sauce. This is my favorite cheesecake recipe from Canadian Living, with some adaptions to my family's personal preferences.


Combine crushed cookie crumbs and melted butter.



Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with the back of a spoon


Bake for 10 minutes and cool completely.


Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.


That's one honking block of cheese. I <3 Costco


Beat on medium high speed until there are no lumps, or only a couple. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.


Add the sour cream, it makes the cheesecake super smooth and creamy.


Beat on medium high speed until there are no lumps at all. It's important to mix everything completely now.


Add the eggs, one at a time, beating only until combined. Barely 10 seconds on low speed.


Pour into a 9 inch springform pan that has been covered in tin foil. Place in a larger pan. Fill the pan with an inch of water.


Bake for 1 hour in the oven at 300•F. The middle should be slightly jiggly when done.


CHEEEEESECAKE has been created. Please ignore the ugly brown spot. That is my oven's fault. But when you put a pretty topping on, nobody notices :) Cool completely and refrigerate overnight.


For the topping just place all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, just until the blueberries begin to burst and the sauce thickens.

Spoon over cheesecake slices before serving. I prefer the topping warmed.
I hope you enjoy making this delicious cheesecake!

New York Cheesecake with Blueberry topping (Adapted from Canadian Living)
Serves 12

Ingredients:

1 package of Dad's oatmeal cookies crushed in food processor until crumby.
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

3 250 gram packages of cream cheese
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of Salt (optional, I prefer omitting this)
1 cup sour cream (I use non fat, it works fine)
4 eggs

2 cups blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar (Berry sugar is my preference with fruit sauces)
1 teaspoon corn starch
2 tablespoons water or fruit juice

Referral Canadian Living
http://www.canadianliving.com/food/strawberry_swirl_cheesecake.php

No comments:

Post a Comment