Sunday, May 4, 2014

Crepes with hazelnut cream and fresh strawberries



Número dos recipe of the day! Or should I say numéro deux if we're sticking with the French theme. These are the delicious crepes that I made for breakfast this morning. The pancake batter cooks instantly making crepes a very quick and easy breakfast. I healthified (gasp) these a little bit because I am not a big fan of flour all that much... anddd because I accidently bought the wrong kind of almond flour for the macarons, so I needed to use it up. Needless to say, they turned out exactly the way crepes are supposed to. Now. The star of this version of crepes is the filling. I like nutella, I like chocolate, and I definitely like it for breakfast. Saying that, a little bit of chocolate goes a long way. If you like your nutella pure in your pancakes, go ahead and skip this step. But trust me, you still might wanna try it. The secret for the hazelnut cream? Greek yogurt! Yes! Another healthy ingredient! I would have used whipped cream, but hey, a girls gotta have some limits. Some may say 'But Greek yogurt is like sour cream!' Trust me, I had my doubts. But nope! The result was a fluffy, creamy, hazelnutty, heaven of a filling. If that's not convincing enough, I don't know how to convert the nutella purists. Anyways, get your nutella, grab a sauce pan, and lets make some crepes.





Do not forget the strawberry rose garnish!


Crepe Recipe (Adapted from Allrecipes)
Makes 5 large crepes

1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
dash of vanilla
1 tbsp melted butter.

Filling by Kala-Dawn Larsen
2 sliced strawberries
2 tbsp nutella (or homemade nutella in my case)
2-3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt

Now I did not follow the directions to make the batter whatsoever, but I have a much easier method.

Throw it all in a blender and blend it up! Seriously! I just put it in my magic bullet, whirled it around a bit, and voila! Delicious crepe batter. Place it in the fridge while you prepare the strawberries and cream.

Slice the strawberries thinly, and if you want, make a rose for garnish (Video tutorial here).
Stir together the nutella and greek yogurt until it is all one consistency. Set aside.

Preheat a non stick pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add a small amount of butter. Add 1/4 cup of crepe batter, and swirl around quickly to make a large circle. If they look ugly, they will still taste delicious. All pancakes are created equally, we don't judge. Place cooked crepe on a plate and cover with a saucepan lid until the remaining ones are made. 

TIME TO ASSEMBLE. Take your crepe, and spread the hazelnut cream on half of it. Fold the other side over, so you are looking at half a crepe now. In one quatre, place some sliced strawberries. Fold over the remaining quarter. Math guys. Fractions. I know I'm sorry. 100% delicious, just remember that. 

Place on a plate/or platter, and repeat with remaining crepes. Drizzle with chocolate sauce if desired

Shovel into your mouth and enjoy nutella crepe pancake heaven. You're welcome.

Time for less than beautiful pictures!
Almond Flour makes pretty crepes

1/2


1/4


Now you know how to make hazelnut cream crepes! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment