Sunday, May 18, 2014

Turtle Cream Puffs

Crisp shell, light as air whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, gooey caramel. Heaven.

Cream Puffs. Aka the key to any one's soul. I don't know anyone who doesn't like cream puffs. Even myself, someone who doesn't like whipped cream (gasp, I know), loves cream puffs. And when you have them enveloped in tantalizing toppings such as these, the guilt of eating 3 or 6 is basically nothing. Because come on, if you know it's bad for you, however bad it is doesn't really matter if it tastes good.
 Even my kitty is wanting in on these bad boys! 
Cream puffs, oprofiteroles, are French in origin (maybe not of this particular variety) and can be extremely finicky to make. I always have success at my house, but the two times I have gone to my friends to help them make them, they completely fail. I have no idea why! Choux pastry, or pâte à choux, is a very basic recipe. The methods for making it however, must be done correctly. There is no baking powder or leavener in the dough, so you have to beat the eggs well to souffle the dough when it bakes. My recipe ALWAYS works (when I make it at home to the tee) so if you follow it exactly, it will work for you too. 
I think I'm going to be changing up my French project slightly. 2 desserts a weekend is kind of a lot for my family, so instead I'm going to make 1 dessert and one dish. Tomorrow I'm going to make a French breakfast, and share that recipe with you. This way there is more variety for my family. What I am going to make, will be a surprise! So stay tuned :) For now, enjoy this recipe!
She's just totally eying them up!

Cream Puffs with Chocolate Whipped cream and the works.

From Canadian Living's DESSERTS cookbook

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs 

Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fit a pastry bag with a round tip. 

In a medium/large saucepan, melt the butter, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Add the flour all at once, and vigorously stir until a ball forms, and pulls away from the sides of the pan.

Cook over medium/low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring vigorously. (this is how bakers get biceps, people). Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Using electric beaters, add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 30 seconds after each addition. After the last egg has been added, beat until smooth and shiny. 

Transfer batter the the prepared pastry bag. Pipe circles/domes (I make mine look kind of like beehives) with about 1-2 tbsp of batter each, depending on how big you want them.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.

Poke with a toothpick when they come out of the oven, so steam doesn't make the inside moist. 

Cool completely, then fill with chocolate whipped cream, (or pastry cream/ whipped cream to go a little more traditional) dust with powdered sugar, drizzle melted chocolate and caramel, and sprinkle chopped pecans to finish them off. Devour!


Now for some food pictures!

Those were supposed to be flower shaped ones... ignore the fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment