Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Strawberry Dream Cloud Cake



I made this for Mother's Day, but I never got to posting it! I also made the cupcakes the same day because I had leftover Bavarian cream from the cake.

This is by far, my favorite cake ever! It is so light and fluffy. With all the layers and chocolate strawberries, what more could you ask for? I highly recommend making this. It takes quite a bit of effort but boy is it worth it!

Now the only thing I did skimp on was the filling :( I don't know how to make Bavarian cream, and I didn't have enough time to make my own jelly. Strawberry filling is very easy to make though! And I'm sure store bought would be fine as well :) We got ours from the bakery at our grocery store.

Strawberry Dream Cloud Cake
14-16 servings

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs, room temperature
3 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Grease and put a parchment paper circle into the bottom of 2 or 4, 8 inch round cake pans. Grease paper and lightly flour and pat out. I did 4 pans because I don't know how to cut cake layers yet...

Pre-heat oven 350•

In a medium mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a stand mixer cream the butter very well. We want no lumps. Add the granulated sugar and mix until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and combine well. Add the eggs 1 at a time on a medium speed until fully incorporated. We want a light cake! On a low speed add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with flour.

Fill the cake pans evenly with all the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and tops are lightly golden brown. Cool in pans for at least 20 minutes. Invert pans onto a wired rack and cool completely.

Whipped Cream Frosting

2 cups whipping cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place all the ingredients in a large liquid measure or medium sized mixing bowl. Place in the refrigerator along with an electric mixer's beaters for 20 minutes or until chilled. Whip the cream until quite sturdy, but not butter!!! Place in fridge until frosting the cake.



Look at all those layers of yumminess! :D

Assemble the cake (My favorite part!!!)

Place one cake layer on a serving platter. The flat side should be facing upwards. Put 1/3 cup of strawberry filling on and spread with a metal spatula, leaving one inch of space from the edge. You can also add more filling... I generally do that. Top with another layer of cake flat side facing upwards. Next add 1/3 cup of Bavarian cream on spread 1 inch away from edge. This is so it doesn't ooze out. Add another cake layer flat side facing upwards. Spread another 1/3 cup (or more) of strawberry filling. Top with final cake layer with the flat side facing downwards. We should have a hamburger cake filled with lots of goodness so far!

Frosting the cake!

I have to admit, this is my first time frosting a BIG cake! As in the sides and the top (while still trying to make it look pretty) So I went to my friend Google and she helped me find someone to teach me... Anyways! Here is the tutorial I used!
I also don't do any crumb coat stuff... just because I don't know how to yet! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ombLkK3aXms I didn't follow her exactly, but definitely for the most part!

Decorating the cake!

I used any left over frosting and piped in onto the bottom and top, then double dipped some strawberries in white and milk Belgium chocolate.

The cake needs to be refrigerated, but brought to room temperature 20 minutes before eating/serving :)

I really really hope everyone tries out this recipe! it is just fabulous!



The first thing eaten were the strawberries LOL! Looks scrumptious when completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment