Friday, August 26, 2011

A new Obsession... CAKE POPS!



I have fallen into the new trend of tiny balls of cake, dipped in chocolate and stuck on a stick! Oh my goodness, not only are these absolutely delicious, they are addicting to make! There are endless possibilities... I have already gone through 50 lollipop sticks in a period of 5 days...

ANYWAYS! I have made 3 kinds so far. 2 have been plain decorated balls and the other I attempted to make "cupcake" cake pops. Lets just say they resemble more of Mario's mushroom friends than cupcakes. So they aren't making it to the blog. BUT, oh my, they taste good. Perfect for my Birthday party.

...It's my Birthday on Sunday hehehe. I'm not allowed to make my own cake, but I wanted to make something! Besides, I quite enjoy Dairy Queen Blizzard Cakes... We will be celebrating at one of my favorite campgrounds, having picnics, making s'mores and playing with glowsticks! I love camping with my cousins. So much fun!

Oh guess what is on my wish list? Bakerella's Cake Pop Decorating Book! Hahaha! So is Martha Stewarts CUPCAKES. I'm excited.

Next week at my little get together with my friends I'm making cupcakes, so stay tuned! There might be some from Martha's book!

On the agenda as well, black berry cream cheese coffee cake. Mmm...

Back to Cake Pops! Here are my recipes :)

Fabulous Styrofoam block

Super simple steps.

1. Bake the cake and let it cool
2. Destroy the cake in a food processor
3. Add frosting and stir to make "dough"
4. Roll into balls and refrigerate for 1o minutes
5. Dip the end of a lollipop stick into melted chocolate, and stick in the ball
6. Refrigerate for 10 minutes
7. Dip the balls into melted chocolate and stick on a styrofoam block to dry.
You can also decorate before the chocolate hardens with sprinkles ect...
*8 refrigerate again, this makes the outside of the chocolate hard, which my family likes.

Here is the vanilla cake recipe (I use it with my vanilla cupcakes as well)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk ( I use skim)

Pre heat oven 350•F

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy with an electric mixer, about 1 minute.

Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition.

Beat in the vanilla extract.

Combine the flour and baking powder.

Beginning with the flour mixture, add half to the batter and beat until all combined. Add half the milk and beat.

Add half of the remaining flour and mix. Add the remaining milk and mix. Add the last bit of flour and beat.

Pour into a 9 inch square baking pan. No need to grease it. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

I used this chocolate cake recipe from Joy Of Baking. Although the logic behind a "one pan" cake makes sense, I found it to be quite messy. But it still produced a beautiful cake! Next time I'll just mix the batter in a separate bowl and pour into the pan when finished.

Chocolate Cake

I use this whipped cream frosting for binding the balls

1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulate sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat everything until quite thick, but not butter.


Have fun making cake pops! I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment