Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Peeps Baby Shower Cake


I saw this cake on Taste Of Home's website and immediately knew I would make it.It is so adorable! Although cake boxes aren't my favorite, that is easily adapted. It was Easter time when I discovered it, so when the Peeps went on sale, I got a few boxes. Because they are pre-packaged, I was able to store them until I needed them. When I got the info on my cousin's baby shower, I got so excited. Immediately I went searching for chocolate cake recipes. Joy Of Baking is a fabulous website that I'm starting to use more often. And the chocolate banana cake she made, looked decedent. And trust me, it is. It is so flavorful and moist, with a beautiful banana flavor. The ganache goes perfectly. I'm quite picky when it comes to chocolate cake, and this is an absolute new fave. I practically made my cousin make it, and she agrees, it's the best.

IT IS VERY RICH AND CHOCOLATEY... just the way I like it.

Peeps Cake (Idea from Taste of Home)
Recipe from Joy Of Baking

Chocolate Banana Cake
Ingredients:

2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (you could probably even sub some whole wheat flour...)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit salt in most of my sweet recipes...)
1 cup mashed bananas (I used 2 medium)
2 eggs
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

8 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter

19 Peeps

Method:

Chocolate Banana Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, 9 inch spring form pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined. You will notice that the batter is quite thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. when completely cool, remove from spring form pan. Frost with chocolate ganache, covering top and sides of cake.

Ganache: Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel, or heatproof bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat (can also be heated in the microwave). Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. When Ganache has completely cooled, stir until slightly thickened.

Place Peeps around the edge of the cake. You can pull them apart before, but I think it would be better to keep them connected.



Enjoy! It's the ideal cake for Birthdays, baby showers or Easter celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment