Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peach Pie




This.is.pure.heaven.

I don't know what else to say.



So this is the pie I made with the leftover crust from my butter tarts because I only made a dozen. There might be a little too much pastry left, but I just made another mini tart with it. So basically your making this dough, minus 1 dozen little tarts. But you could always just half it. That would actually work really well! Huh... I can't believe I didn't think of that. Anyways! Once you have your pastry, all you need is the filling! And it is super simple, but absolutely delicious.

The Story Behind My Peach Pie Love.


When I was little, my family and my cousin's family would go camping in the Okanagan every summer. At this one campsite there was a pie man. Yes, I'm not messing with you, a pie man. I believe it was every Tuesday and Thursday he would come to our park. He basically drove a pick up truck and sold pies out of the back. Every single time, we got peach pie. It is my number one favorite. As well as my dad's. But finally we grew older and going to the same campground wasn't very exciting... and we got a bigger trailer that didn't fit. So we stopped going. And that meant, no more pie. I don't think I've even had peach pie since then. But when I made this pie, all the memories came back because it was simply incredible. When I had the first bite, I said "I feel like I'm in Penticton" and my dad said "So do I." This pie made me experience something I haven't been able to have in a very long time. So that's why I can't tell you how good this pie is because I have never had something like this happen before.
This is the pie man!

Peach Pie
Serves 8-10 people

Half of this pastry

Filling
6 cups of sliced, peeled, firm peaches (I used 5 large)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice (I used orange because I had none)

Preparation

Toss the peaches, sugar, flour and lemon juice together. Set aside.

Pre heat oven 425•F and put the rack on the lower third of oven.

The pastry should be thoroughly chilled. Divide dough in half.
Roll out 2 inches wider than a 9 inch pie plate and place in pan. Trim edges so they are even. Leave a slight over hang. Add filling, but don't scrape in all the juices at the bottom of the bowl. There will be lots of juices created while cooking, and this will prevent unnecessary mushiness. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg yolks and top with other piece of dough. Trim the edges until even. Tuck underneath the bottom layer to create a crust. Flute or crimp the edges. Brush egg yolk over the top of the pie and sprinkle with sugar. Poke steam vents.

Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350•F and bake for 50 minutes or until the bottom of the pie is completely golden brown.

You can find the easier preparation on the Canadian Livings Recipe.

I hope you enjoy this as much as my family did.


No comments:

Post a Comment