Friday, October 21, 2011

Grandma's Gingersnap Cookies


I made these yesterday for a friend and boy did it smell like Christmas in my house! These cookies are a staple for us at that time of the year. Luckily it won't be here for at least a couple more months. These treats are crispy yet soft, chewy but they melt in your mouth. Let's just say I made 2 dozen for my family, and my dad will eat them all by tomorrow. He was beaming when he came home last night and saw I had made these. They are his absolute favorite cookie ever. And it's his mom's recipe. She gave it to my mom, and now I get to make it too! So store it away until the snow falls then bake a batch up and be ready for Christmas carols!



Grandma's Gingersnap Cookies
3 dozen

2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Preheat oven 375•F and line or grease cookie sheets

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

Add the sugar, shortening, egg and molasses. Beat with an electric mixer until a soft dough forms.

And yes that is how you make the dough!!! Just add it all together in a bowl and mix!

Next make small balls with 1 tbsp of dough. Dip into either sugar or sprinkles. Place on baking sheet with sugar side up. Press down slightly with a fork.

Bake for 8 minutes 30 seconds. 9 minutes if you like crispy cookies like my dad.

Cool on pan for 10 minutes, then to cooling rack to cool completely.

These cookies taste the best once they have completely cooled.



Thanks for reading! Enjoy!!!

I'm making brownies with my friend today :) Stay tuned!

1 comment: