Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake with Nut Topping



Happy Thanksgiving Sunday! What a beautiful day it is! The sun is shining and that was not the original forecast! Looks like it's going to be a great day. Tonight I will be going to my grandparents house for turkey dinner. You have no idea how excited I am! I have been craving it for weeks now. Stuffing...sweet potatoes...red cabbage...TURKEY! Ahh... it's going to be delicious! And of course there has to be dessert! That's where I come into the story. I knew I wanted to make cheesecake but I also wanted to make pumpkin pie. Why not combine the two? So I went searching through my mom's mom's cookbooks and found this fabulous recipe! It's full of spices and I know it would go well with my cookie crust. I haven't made it before, but man was it tasty. It has a caramelized pecan topping that I know will be a hit. It takes a LONG time to bake but the end result is totally worth it!



Festive Pumpkin Cheesecake
Serves 14

Crust
1 1/2 cups of Dad's cookie crumbs
1/4 cup of margarine, melted.

Batter
24 ounces of cream cheese (3 packages), room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 14 ounce can packed pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup whipping cream

Nut Topping
1/4 cup margarine, softened at room temperature
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preparation

Preheat oven 325•F.

In a medium sized bowl mix the melted margarine and cookie crumbs. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool.

Leave oven on.

Mix together the spices, salt and pumpkin. Set aside

In a large bowl beat the cream cheese until creamy. Add the sugars and beat until completely smooth.
Add the eggs 1 at a time until just combined. Do not over beat.
Add the pumpkin mixture and beat until just incorporated.
Pour into springform pan and bake for 70 minutes. If you are using a dark pan reduce heat to 305•F.

While cheesecake is baking beat the sugar and margarine until combined. Stir in pecans.

When cheesecake is finished cooking, spoon nut topping on gently and bake for another 10 minutes.

Let cool on a wire rack for at least an hour. Then refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.

You can decorate it with whipped cream and pecan halves if you like.

NOTE*** you need to let the cheesecake sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving, or the topping will be kind of hard!

Enjoy this Festive Dessert!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment