Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes



It's Thanksgiving this weekend! Turkey time! Yay!
When I think of this weekend, it officially tells me fall is here. And when I think of fall the first thing that comes to mind are pumpkins! I love them! In pie, tarts, cookies, muffins, scones pancakes ANYTHING! The spices are so aromatic and they warm you from the inside out. So whenever I get the chance, I'll make something with pumpkin.

Today (Friday) is my monthly "cupcake" order at the bank. Because it's thanksgiving weekend, I wanted to do something really festive. Not to mention I have this brand new Martha Stewart Cupcake book I've been dying to use. Inside I found the "Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes" recipe. Instantly I knew I'd be making them. But I have yet to learn about marzipan, so I made my pumpkins out of cake balls. Worked perfectly!

It doesn't have to be Halloween or Thanksgiving to make these, but I highly suggest them now while the season is here!

***Stay tuned on Sunday for my Festive Pumpkin Cheesecake!



Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes (Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes)
28 Cupcakes

4 cups cake flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk (or in my case 1 cup of milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stand for 10 minutes)
1 1/2 cups canned packed pumpkin

Fall Sprinkles
Orange Candy Melts
Gold gel
Green round sprinkles

Frosting

12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Cupcakes

Preheat oven 350•F and line muffin tins with 32 cupcake liners

Sift together the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.

In a large bowl cream the butter and brown sugar on medium high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Alternating with the flour mixture and buttermilk in three additions, add to the batter on low speed. Beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until only combined. Beat in the pumpkin.

Scoop into the liners filling 3/4 way full. (About 1 heaping icecream scoop each)

Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pans half way through.

Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and move to a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting

Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.

Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time beating until just combined. Also I would test the frosting after 3 cups to make sure it doesn't get too sweet for your taste.

Beat in vanilla extract.

Assemble the Cupcakes

Choosing your favorite 28 cupcakes, frost with a generous amount of frosting. You can pipe it but I chose just to swirl in on them. Be sure to save 1/4 cup of frosting. Top with your favorite fall sprinkles. Set aside.

In a small bowl, break remaining cupcakes. Beat with electric beaters until crumbly. Add a small amount of frosting and beat. Keep adding frosting until a cookie dough like texture is created, and you can make small balls with your hands.

Roll 28 small balls and place on wax paper covered baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.

Melt 1 cup of candy melts according to package. Dip the balls entirely and place on wax paper to set. Refrigerate 10 minutes.

Using the gold gel, put a tiny blob on top of each pumpkin, representing a stem. Add the round green sprinkles to make a leaf.

Put on top of cupcakes.

There you go! Lots of lovely little pumpkins!
Hope you enjoy! I know I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment