Saturday, September 17, 2011

Anne's Banana Bread


Well, last week at SuperStore bananas were only 46 cents each and my mom went a little crazy. We already had 2 bunches at home but she then bought another 3! So here we had 30 bananas sitting on our kitchen table. I LOVE bananas but they don't like me so I can only eat them once and a while. Although that's not the case with my brother and dad, they don't want to live off them. So anyways! Last weekend I made these cookies using up one banana, muffins used up 3 bananas and by yesterday there was only 9 bananas left. You would think that we would be swinging along vines in a jungle by now. But no, there are still some left! So I felt the need to use some more up. And there is no better way than in our family's favourite loaf. It has tons of flavour and it's very tender. The recipe is from my Grandma's cookbook and it's from one of her friend's named Anne. That's where the name comes from. But we're kind of on a diet so I substituted some of the all purpose flour for whole wheat. I could have replaced the butter with applesauce but I didn't want to. There are no spices in this recipe and that's why we like it so much; your getting a no-frill-pure-banana-taste bread. Give it a try, it's probably the easiest recipe in the world! It doesn't last more than 2 days in our house.



Anne's Banana Bread
8 slices

1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas
2 cups all purpose flour (or half whole wheat, the loaf will be denser)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preparation

Preheat oven 375•F and grease a loaf pan

Put all the wet ingredients in a medium large bowl and beat until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until completely combined. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Leave in pan until completely cool and remove with a knife. I like to warm mine up in the microwave and top it with butter. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment