Monday, September 5, 2011

Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake


HAPPY LABOUR DAY!!! I hope everyone has had a super summer! I know I have! From riding the sand dunes in Oregon, to soaking up sun beside my pool, this vacation has been the best to date! Although the weather didn't warm up until August, it's scorching here now! 30 degrees by the end of the week! Woo! But then there is the downside to today... school tomorrow.
BLAH.
I am looking forward to spending time with my friends and begin dancing again but I am not looking forward to homework. There is so much more I could be doing! And with this nice weather, it's going to be hard to consenstrate! Oh well! I'll get through it.

So I've been busy baking this weekend, cupcakes, cheesecakes and muffins (Will be posted tomorrow). But none of these we're for my family. So I knew I needed to make something for us! I had already made this cake 2 times this week, and both times my family had been drooling over it. So I thought, perfect! It has a vanilla cake base, with a cheesecake like center. Blackberries create a third fruity layer while a cinnamon sugar strussel top it off! Boy did it smell good coming out of the oven. I suggest making this cake soon while blackberries are in season because then all you really need to buy is the cream cheese! Enjoy!!!



Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Serves 10-12

Topping:

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture is crumbly.

Cream Cheese Filling:

250 grams cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg at room temperature
1 tablespoon flour

Pre-heat oven 350•F

In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese until light and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined and lump free. Beat in the egg until just combined. Beat in flour.

Vanilla Cake Layer:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt (I don't like adding salt)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg at room temperature
1/3 cup milk (I used skim)
1 cup fresh blackberries (These could be substituted for blueberries, cherries ect...)

In a small bowl whisk the flour and baking powder (salt if using) Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat it in. Beat in the egg for about 30 seconds until well combined. Alternating with the flour mixture and milk, add to the batter in 3 additions. Beating until just combined after each addition. Begin and end with the flour.

Pour into a 9 inch springform pan and bake on the middle rack for 50 minutes or until the top is light golden brown.

Let it cool slightly or completely.



I appreciate you reading my blog! I hope everything had as good a summer as I did. The blog might not be as busy as usual due to homework and dance, but I will try to post often! Next weekend I'm making 2 strawberry dream cloud cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment