Saturday, September 10, 2011

Breakfast or "Energy" Cookies


I've been having a major urge to make cookies lately, so stay tuned for lots of new recipes! I found this one a few days ago, and I knew I needed to make it. It's a lot healthier than your typical cookie, so I'm in love with it's nutrition and taste. It's got bananas, pecans, oats, whole wheat flour and raisins that provide amazing texture. I edited the original version by adding some spices. Unfortunately... I forgot the butter. I had put them in the oven for one minute, and was like OMG. I forgot the freaking butter! Apparently my grandma used to do this all the time. But not to worry! I managed to mix it in, and produce a very yummy end product! Yes, they are kind of ugly. But no, they don't taste bad! I prefer 'trail-mix' cookies over chocolate chip cookies, so I replaced those with raisins. (Which also provide even more nutrition.)I highly suggest these! I'm going to use them this week as my energy boosters for dance!

I'm also working on a Strawberry Dream Cloud Cake right now... whipping cream and beaters are chilling in the fridge. Look for pictures tomorrow!
OH... and this week... White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies... they might be gone before I can even take a picture. And no I won't forget the butter this time ;)



Breakfast or Energy Cookies
Adapted from this lovely recipe
Makes 1 dozen BIG cookies. Like HUGE. And I like em that way.

Ingredients:

1 ripe banana
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup BUTTER, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I always omit salt)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon gingerbread
*I'm thinking 1/4 teaspoon of cloves would be good too
3/4 raisins (milk chocolate chips if you prefer)
3/4 pecans (I just broke the halves into smaller pieces with my hands)

Preparation

Pre-heat oven 350•F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium sized bowl beat the banana, sugar and butter. Beat in the vanilla extract and egg. Set aside.

In another medium sized bowl combine the whole wheat flour, oats, baking soda, salt, (if using) spices, pecans and raisins or chocolate chips.

Using a spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Using an ice cream scoop, make large round balls on the baking sheet. 12. Your sheet should be pretty full, but the cookies don't spread much.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.



Yum yum in my tum tum! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment